[Sca-cooks] wafers

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Dec 10 07:30:25 PST 2003

I did 600 plus by myself for the Midrealm Crown feast in 2001.
That took an entire day (9 hours) with breaks. I do an assembly line.
Melted the butter in the microwave, used the kitchen aid mixer for the
batter,
and used electric irons. I usually place two gridded racked over the sink
and place the wafers on those to cool while I put the batter in for the next
set. You turn from handling the iron to working with the last batch. I
usually trim
mine and remove any stray bits that baked along the edge. (They over-run the
impressions, so you end up with flat cookie edges or pieces attached
that aren't decorative.)

You just keeping doing it until they are done. Once I tried an electric
iron, I've
been all for using non-stick electric irons. I used to be able to manage two
on the stove at a time, but it's a lot more work and the results aren't
as consistent.
I recommended going with electric even back in my old two part TI
article on wafers.
That was 1982.

Johnnae