[Sca-cooks] Recipe request- ot?

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Dec 11 07:47:21 PST 2003

I knew as soon as I typed Green Goddess someone would ask--
My family recipe is in a box of recipes from my mom's. I'll look for it
when I get the time. (I am doing a gingerbread castle for an event on
Saturday.)

These came off the web--

Food Network Green Goddess Dip
3 anchovy fillets, soaked in cold water for 5 minutes, dried, and
coarsely chopped
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
2 scallions (white and green), chopped
1 cup mixed fresh herbs, such as basil, parsley, and tarragon
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Combine the anchovies, mayonnaise, sour cream, scallions, herbs, lime
juice,
and salt in a blender. Puree to make a smooth dressing. Season, to
taste, with salt and pepper.
Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving. Can be stored in the refrigerator
for up to 2 days.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_24742,00.html
You might try the above with more sour cream and less mayo.

This one is more what I remember--

Green Goddess Dip

2 garlic cloves peeled
1 8 oz container of sour cream
1 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
2 tbsp. light mayonnaise
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp. anchovy paste
1 tsp. dried tarragon leaves
2 green onions minced

In 1 quart saucepan place garlic and enough water to cover;
heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce to low; cover and simmer
3 minutes to blanch garlic; drain. Mince garlic; place in medium bowl
Stir in sour cream and remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate up
to 2 days.
http://www.cookingcache.com/dips/greengoddessdip.shtml

    The Green Goddess Dip

1 cup green onion, chopped fine
9 ounces soft white cheese
9 ounces sour cream
1/3 cup dill, chopped fine
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/4 cup parsley, chopped fine
2 tablespoons lemon juice - fresh, if possible
1 tablespoon vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Stir well. Serve chilled.

Serving ideas : Best served with some vegetables and crackers.

Notes: This is one of the best light dips I tasted.
Try it, serve it to guests, and try some good Muscat wine and crackers
with it, for a quick snack.

- Recipe By Yaron Blachman of Beer-Sheva, Israel
http://archive.tri-cityherald.com/recipes/world/world11.html

There are also some odd ones that call for tofu, but as some also lack
the sour cream, I
won't include those.

Hope this helps

Johnnae