[Sca-cooks] Cholent

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Dec 11 08:13:22 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Does anyone have a period recipe for some form of a Cholent (Shabbeth
> stew) or something that could work as such? Jewish law says that you can't
> cook on Shabbos, so you prepare a stew on friday and let it sit on a
> banked fire overnight to eat for lunch the next day (Ok we will be using a
> crock pot). so does anyone have any sugestions for a period recipe that
> might work for this? It will have to be kosher of course, but we can
> always play with things to make it kosher.
>
> --
> Yehoshua ben Haym haYerushalmi

Try Beef Y-stewed, or possibly Bal- Po stew/soupo from Soup for the Qan-
either should do well with all the prep done before sundown, and it left to
simmer in the crock pot. One uses beef, the other lamb- I rather doubt you'd
have trouble finding kosher meats over where you are ;-)

Trouble with period stews, though, is that they tend to be entirely meat and
flavor enhancers such as onions of herbs- as near as I can tell (and I've
been looking) there's nothing like our one-dish meals. Bal-Po uses chickpeas
as a thickener, and I think some of the other Mongol/Chinese dishes do, too,
but most of the European corpus doesn't.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.