[Sca-cooks] Cholent

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Thu Dec 11 06:34:56 PST 2003

> Does anyone have a period recipe for some form of a Cholent (Shabbeth
> stew) or something that could work as such? Jewish law says that you can't
> cook on Shabbos, so you prepare a stew on friday and let it sit on a
> banked fire overnight to eat for lunch the next day (Ok we will be using a
> crock pot). so does anyone have any sugestions for a period recipe that
> might work for this? It will have to be kosher of course, but we can
> always play with things to make it kosher.

The chickpeas, onions, honey and spices dish would work if you started
with unsoaked chickpeas, I believe. (There's no recipe, it's from the
Inquisition records...)

A number of the recipes in the Al-Andalus manuscript are slow cooked and
might be suitable.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including
yourself. That's what sin is." -- Terry Pratchett, _Carpe Jugulum_