[Sca-cooks] German bacon

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 13 21:18:08 PST 2003

On 13 Dec 2003, at 22:43, Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamant wrote:

> Also sprach Robin Carroll-Mann:
> >I'm looking at the recipe for bratwurst in Sabina Welserin.  It calls for 4
> >pounds each of prok and beef, plus two pounds of bacon.  What kind of bacon
> >would be appropriate?

> Probably streaky bacon (or probably uncured belly meat, anyway). I
> think the word for the back bacon (which is actually from the loin)
> is "schinken" (which can also mean ham); if the word "speck" is used,
> that's a fattier cut like belly or jowl meat.
>
> Adamantius

I was using the translation on Cariadoc's website, but I found the original
German on Thomas Gloning's page.  (I am thankful that the recipes are
numbered.)  The word used is "speck".

So, that still leaves a question -- cured or uncured?  I can get uncured pork
belly at the Asian grocery.

Danke.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net