[Sca-cooks] German bacon

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Dec 13 21:39:54 PST 2003

Brighid asked:
> I'm looking at the recipe for bratwurst in Sabina Welserin.  It calls
> for 4
> pounds each of prok and beef, plus two pounds of bacon.  What kind of
> bacon would be appropriate?  Back bacon (Canadian), streaky bacon
> (American), or something else entirely?
Well, from previous discussions here I would say the bacon is there
primarily to supply some fat. Since it specifies both pork and
bacon(fat) this also reminds me of some "discussions" Ras and I had on
this list a while back about just how fat medieval pigs were. I think
this supports my contention that medieval pigs were not primarily
raised for their fat and that while some were fat, most weren't. If the
pig was as fat as much of the modern pork is, at least until the last
decade or two, you wouldn't need to specify extra fat in this recipe.

If it is there for the fat, I don't think Canadian bacon would be a
good choice since it is fairly lean. We've discussed bacon here before.
I think the outcome was that the streaky American bacon wasn't a period
cut. However, I think it would work in this recipe. I'd probably go
with the unsmoked version and perhaps the bacon "ends" since you are
going to grind it up anyway. But I suspect that any fatty pork would
work.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas