[Sca-cooks] Kind of OT: Christmas food drives

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Dec 14 15:05:39 PST 2003

> It made me think of the folks on this list - what are the wierdest
> things you've given up to food drives?  Given the kinds of ingredients
> we use, this could be a highly amusing discussion.

Well, the wierdest thing I ever, personally, gave to a food drive was a)
jellied cranberry sauce and b) pumpkin pie filling. That was when I was a
teen and we had a food drive at church. (Ever wonder how many of the kids
bringing food to food drives really ought to be picking up food at the
food pantry instead?)

By the time I lived on my own, I had done some errand-running and driving
to the food pantry with welfare recipients, so though I will occassionally
throw in something interesting to cheer up the recipients, mostly I stick
with staples appropriate for families with small kids.  It drives me crazy
that rice comes in such flimsy bags, because my experience is that rice is
the best thing for food pantries-- the average poor family tries to buy
rice in the largest container they can.

(I love being told by people on unemployment that people on welfare get
paid to sit around. They've never had to 'sit around' in a hospital ER or
clinic for hours with a sick kid, or to 'sit around' on a series of 3
buses to make it to the grocery store, then figure out a way to get a
week's worth of groceries home on the bus, then figure out how to get
your kid to the counselor's appointment at 4 pm when school lets out at
3:30...)

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including
yourself. That's what sin is." -- Terry Pratchett, _Carpe Jugulum_