[Sca-cooks] Kind of OT: Christmas food drives

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Sat Dec 13 09:42:15 PST 2003

This article was on the Inquirer's website today:
http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/7480613.htm

It made me think of the folks on this list - what are the wierdest
things you've given up to food drives?  Given the kinds of ingredients
we use, this could be a highly amusing discussion.  I've given up all
kinds of organic pilaf mixes and cereals that my husband declared
unedible before the boxes were even opened.  Boxes of tvp mixes, once I
conceeded that tvp just doesn't qualify as a whole food.  All kinds of
soda and potato chips left over from parties sine we never touch them
ourselves.  Bottles of un-pronouncable sparkling water from Ikea, that I
bought for the free insulated lunch bag that came with them.  Bags of
nuts left over from holiday baking (I had no intention of doing more
baking in the immediate future, forget about things like that in my
freezer, and knew they wouldn't keep until I needed them again.)

On the other hand, I have actually filled my cart with healthful,
thought-out things and put them straight into the Philabundance barrel
at Acme on occasion.  So, I don't feel too cheesy ;)  And I've worked
many hours with Toys for Tots (and thus learned to give through Angel
Trees, not through Toys for Tots.)

-Magdalena

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him to find it for himself. - Galileo Galilei