[Sca-cooks] Kind of OT: Christmas food drives

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Sun Dec 14 15:21:26 PST 2003

> > (I love being told by people on unemployment that people on welfare get
> > paid to sit around. They've never had to 'sit around' in a hospital ER or
> > clinic for hours with a sick kid,
>
> EVERYONE sits around in ERs, Jadwiga- I just spent 2 hours in one yesterday-
> and they weren't particularly busy. And, another hour or so this AM, getting
> my prescription filled.

In the old days, before the implementation of HMOs for those on
assistance, it wasn't uncommon to sit in the ER for 8 hours or more with a
sick kid on a weekend, because there was no alternative and the kid had
nothing lifethreatening.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people as things. Including
yourself. That's what sin is." -- Terry Pratchett, _Carpe Jugulum_