[Sca-cooks] Kind of OT: Christmas food drives

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Dec 14 15:37:57 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> In the old days, before the implementation of HMOs for those on
> assistance, it wasn't uncommon to sit in the ER for 8 hours or more with a
> sick kid on a weekend, because there was no alternative and the kid had
> nothing lifethreatening.

Yeah, and I remember being strapped to a backboard for 3 hours after a car
wreck (not my fault) because the ER had a sudden influx of kids with runny
noses and such. ERs do the best they can, but it does take time. It's
nothing that's especial to poor folks, it's just one of the sections of the
system that needs a bit of work.

In contrast, at Chirurgeon's point, we usually have people in and out of
there in an hour, unless there's a major battle going on, with multiple
injuries, or they need extended treatment, as in the cases of folks with
heat stress injuries.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.