[Sca-cooks] Kind of OT: Christmas food drives

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 15 08:32:33 PST 2003

Terry Decker wrote:

>>In the old days, before the implementation of HMOs for those on
>>assistance, it wasn't uncommon to sit in the ER for 8 hours or more with a
>>sick kid on a weekend, because there was no alternative and the kid had
>>nothing lifethreatening.
>>
>>-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
>>

>It is still not uncommon according to some nurses I talked with.  During the
>Known World Costume Symposium, I had to take Margaret to the emergency room.
>We got fairly fast service because it was potentially life-threatening, but
>there was a steady stream of people with minor problems which could have
>been better served for less at (available) out-patient clinics, but the
>clinics cost money and the emergency room was required to serve the indigent
>without fee.
>
>Bear

I would surely love to know what happened to the other two patients that
got in ahead of me while I was sitting out in the ER waiting area with a
head injury, bleeding on the floor about 1.6 years ago... Oh well, I do
have a cool Harry Potter scar anyway and no brain damage that wasn't
already there before <wry grin>

Selene Colfox