[Sca-cooks] cooking times over an open fire

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 15 12:47:28 PST 2003

>Ok, for a discussion (about 'instant stews' in fantasy) on another list,
>I'm wondering how long it would take to cook 2 rabbits, either roasted or
>cut up and cooked in boiling water, over an open fire. Anybody have a good
>guess? Also, how long would it take from the point you start the fire to
>the point you could start cooking?
>
>-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net

As far as your second question goes, well, that would depend on the material
you used to cook over.  Different types of woods burn and turn to charcoal
at different rates which could change the time up to 15 minutes or more.
The softer woods don't give off as much heat for a prolonged time either so
that would slow cooking down as well.  What you are actually cooking the
thing *in* would also add or subtract from the equasion.
Olwen