[Sca-cooks] marzipan madness

Kathleen A. Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Mon Dec 15 12:54:59 PST 2003

--On Monday, December 15, 2003 8:22 PM +0000 Olwen the Odd
<olwentheodd at hotmail.com> wrote:
> So did you go with the thin parchment paper or just go ahead and scribe
> directly onto the marzipan?  I don't believe you actually mentioned the
> size of the scroll either. Olwen

10x15 full sheet....   3 inch borders on bottom and left, 1 1/2 inch on top
and right, holding 3-d illumination on painted yellow background.   one
pink rose with two flowering buds and three closed, one white rose with one
flowering bud, two white dogwood flowers, two pansies, two strawberries,
two purple morning glory trumpet type flowers, a scattering of tine white
star flowers.  i made sugar candy syrup and flicked it into dots and
strings for pistils and stamens, and touched them with a smattering of
elible gold leaf (pollen).  one butterfly, and of course an assortment of
green leaves.   the butterfly wings were thin painted marzipan, the eyes
gold leaf, and i painted the antennae directly on the scroll.

the writing space itself more 5x9.

"Now she brings the buds of spring and dances midst the flowers.
Her beauty lights our winter nights and warms our winter bowers."

i printed the text, leaving extra large space for the capitals beginning
each line.  i laid it on top of the marzipan, and with a knife i 'cut' the
lines for the letters into the marzipan.  i took a fine brush and painted
the letters as 'calligraphically' as i could.  the capitals were 3-D
lombardic capitals covered in edible gold leaf.  i trusted neither my hand
direct, nor the pen nib not to scrape and tear the surface.  fortunately
these 'channels' kept things from bleeding.

the treasure map was plain old painted on the marzipan, and i curled and
'tore' the corners.  i used any cracks in the marzipan as rips, darkening
them with the gel.

connor told me he would get the pix up tonight so i can show the finished
product.  i was coming down to the wire, and did not have time to do step
by step except for the flowers being ready to put on.

cailte
the certifiable!

''Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy.''
                                                        W.B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
Administrative Asst. II
UNM Freshman Admissions