[Sca-cooks] cooking times over an open fire

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Dec 15 16:48:13 PST 2003

I've never had any trouble boiling water over coals.  I prefer coals for
most open fire cooking, because the heat is more intense and even than fires
with leaping flames.  As a point of fact, I've boiled water in paper bags
and paper cups (it's a stunt to impress the Scouts) and that can only be
done over coals.

Large pots of water (usually for doing the dishes) can be a problem because
it takes a lot of heat to bring them to a boil, so starting them early while
you are building the bed of coals and keeping them on until you are ready to
put out the fire is fairly standard practice.

Bear