[Sca-cooks] OT (OOP) Flu/Chili question

Diana Skaggs liadan at pldi.net
Mon Dec 15 17:04:03 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Susan Fox-Davis" <selene at earthlink.net>
To: "Cooks within the SCA" <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Monday, December 15, 2003 1:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Sca-cooks] OT (OOP) Flu/Chili question

> Capsicum pepper and turmeric are said to have anti-inflammatory
> properties. The chili is nice and warm and full of tomatoes and beans
> and all that nutritious stuff.   At least, it sounds like something that
> would do you no harm when you are sick and maybe not eating right.
>
> Right now, I'm surrounded by people with this rotten "plague" which I
> refuse to get.  I have NO time for this.  So far, the positive attitude
> thing seems to be working.
>
> Selene C.

Oddly enough, as I was waiting in the doctor's office for my turn, I noticed
the "Health TV" always playing in the background. The topic was on how a
good attitude positively affects your health. According to the program, they
did tests on people with different personalities. They didn't go into detail
about the testing, but pronounced that people with good attitudes have
"better brain wave function." So, Selene, you have the right idea!

In addition, to those of you on Atkins (sp?). I was listening to a news
report a couple of days after he passed away. According to the reporter,
medical researchers had finally done testing on two sets of subjects, all
diabetic IIRC. The results had doctors scratching their heads. The subjects
on Atkins did much better keeping their blood sugar under control as well as
losing weight. The second set, using the standard diabetic diet, not only
didn't keep their blood sugar under control, but didn't lose nearly as much
weight. In addition, the subjects on the standard diabetic diet complained
about always feeling hungry. Now if I could just remember what medical
journal she was quoting.

I'm POSITIVE I'll think of it - eventually.

Liadan