[Sca-cooks] Things to make you say hmmm....

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 16 13:55:01 PST 2003

Maybe the mint oil is volatile, and it is assumed that the flavor and
aroma keep better if encased in a neutral coating? How old is your
average candy cane by the time you get it, anyway? I have this vision
of big warehouses, like the one in "Citizen Cane"... I mean "Kane"...
all full of candy canes.

Adamantius

I buy them every year, they don't hold up well.  Last year's candy canes
don't snap, they bend,  the outsides get chewy-soft and the colors bleed. :p
I've seen several stories on candy cane manufacturers, and they all show
making the big bands of color for the outside, then adding the mint extract
to the inner core while it is on the taffy pulling machine turning from corn
syrup color to white.  I've seen this before, but I've just had this
revelation that there really isn't any mint flavor in the outside. Like I
said, I've been spending a lot of time around candy canes as I usually do
this time of year, so the issue has been a relevant one around here anyway.
:)
Check out our new website at:
http://avisitfromsanta.kings-taste.com/
Christianna
I wonder how many people are now out carefully licking the outside of a
candy cane...