[Sca-cooks] Things to make you say hmmm....

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Tue Dec 16 13:32:54 PST 2003

Also sprach Christine Seelye-King:
>This may not be the realization to some of you that it was to me, but you
>have to understand that in my current line of work, this is a big deal.
>Did you realize that a candy cane only has peppermint flavoring in the white
>core?  The surrounding white and red striped candy just tastes like sugar
>until you encounter the inside.  It smells like peppermint when you unwrap
>it, but if you suck on the outside without crunching down, you won't get the
>mint flavor.

Maybe the mint oil is volatile, and it is assumed that the flavor and
aroma keep better if encased in a neutral coating? How old is your
average candy cane by the time you get it, anyway? I have this vision
of big warehouses, like the one in "Citizen Cane"... I mean "Kane"...
all full of candy canes.

Adamantius