[Sca-cooks] Preserved (Pickled) Lemons

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Tue Dec 16 15:10:41 PST 2003

James Prescott commented:

>>has anyone else done any cooking with preserved lemons. I think they are
>>morrocan. My suppermarket sells them loose along with olives and pickles
>>and stuff. Are there any good period recipies that use them?

There are many in Lancelot de Casteau. Ouverture de Cuisine. Liege:
Leonard Streel, 1604. Note that Casteau's active working life, when
he used these recipes, was prior to 1600.
<<<
I must have missed this earlier, or have simply forgotten it. Is this a French book in French?

The translation is nearly finished. Here are the recipes that
use preserved lemons (here called salted sour lemons).
<<<
Isn't "sour lemons" a bit redundant? Aren't all lemons sour? But each of these recipes, or at least the translation, use this term. Or are these recipes calling for a type of lemon that is particularly sour and then salted?

There may
be a few changes before the translation is finalised, but these
should be close to their final form. Translation copyright 2003
James Prescott and Jeremy Fletcher.
<<<
Sounds wonderful.

And Olwen commented:
>Pickled with saffron.
Just with saffron??? Or do you mean in vinegar with some saffron added? If so, then these would seem to be different from the salted lemons discussed above which I am thinking are more like they've been dried. Or is the salt added and the juice which is extracted left, creating a sort of pickling liquid?

>Very sour.  That is why the fighters like them.
The fighters have sweet humours and these sour items balance things out? :-)
>What is shuk?
I was wondering that myself or at least wondering about the details. I'm imagining a bazaar such as I've been to in Mexico, but I have been to large and small ones there, both under roofs and in the open. But all were collections of small shops owned by individuals. Or perhaps it is a general term for "market" and also includes American style grocery stores?

Stefan