[Sca-cooks] Preserved (Pickled) Lemons

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 16 17:16:05 PST 2003

Stefan wrote:
>Isn't "sour lemons" a bit redundant? Aren't all lemons sour? But
>each of these recipes, or at least the translation, use this term.
>Or are these recipes calling for a type of lemon that is
>particularly sour and then salted?

Well, i don't know about Lancelot de Casteau's lemons, but there are
small very round yellow citrus fruits sold at the ever fabulous
Berkeley Bowl that they call Persian lemons (urk - or is it Persian
limes?) oh, well, any way, the fruit is not particularly sour. Well,
maybe a little, but as you all know i'm weird. I can tolerate sour
and bitter better than i can tolerate sweet.

So, yes, there are different kinds of lemons...

Anahita
who loved to eat fresh lemons as a child