[Sca-cooks] Preserved (Pickled) Lemons

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Dec 16 19:47:21 PST 2003

Thorvald replied to my question with:
> There are regular lemons, and there are lemons which are noticeably
> more sour.  The original French uses two different words.  Think of
> the difference between regular oranges and the sour Seville oranges
> destined for the modern marmalade.
Okay, this makes sense. Thank you. I've just never seen lemons called
out as anything but lemons in the store. I guess these preserved lemons
could be made with normal lemons, but it sounds like there will be some
taste difference compared to making these with the sour lemons. Perhaps
an additional souring agent can be added to the regular lemons to
approximate the sour lemons similar to the suggestions for
approximating the Seville oranges that have been discussed here.
> Sour lemons are available today preserved in salt.
Or, if there is a source of these already prepared lemons that would be
better much as some folks have found it cheaper to buy quince paste
than to buy fresh quinces and make their own. Perhaps these are
available by mail order somewhere.
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas