[Sca-cooks] personal libraries

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Tue Dec 16 18:49:15 PST 2003

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 wrote:

>Johnnae commented:
>

>>Stefan
>>(Whose book cataloging is now up to 1005 volumes and doesn't know if he will ever get most of those read, and that is not even near the 10K+? that Johnnae said she had.)
>>

>I don't spend the time cataloguing mine though.
><<<<
>So, how do you ever find the one you want? Or keep from buying multiple copies of the same book? Especially with such a large library as you have?

I actually don't duplicate that much, perhaps one or two volumes a year.
I used to spend
hours every week reading all the reviews and ABPR records noting titles
to determine
what we should order for the departmental library that I worked for at
the UofI.
Then when I was the county librarian, I used to do the acquisitions
when I was in Virginia in the same manner. I could just order week in
and week out
and not duplicate titles. The only time I can remember ordering
something we already had was
I ordered a request title, that I presumed had already been searched
through the catalog by
the staff upstairs. It hadn't, so we ended up with two copies which
ticked me off.
We were spending 30 thousand plus on books at that time.

 I will buy duplicates
to give as gifts and pass on when the price is right. There are always
auctions and fundraisers
looking for donations. Cooks in my kitchens were usually given books as
tokens of service.

Now did I become a librarian because I can remember titles or has work
in libraries since
grade school just refined my skills until it's second-nature. I will
state that I do keep files and
lists of titles that I come across in various places. Every once in
awhile I run those through
Bookfinder to see if any are available at what I want to pay. I also
write down new titles
that I find or come across and want to research more prior to buying. I
normally try to always
check price before ordering.

Johnnae llyn Lewis