[Sca-cooks] candy canes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 16 19:04:19 PST 2003

Here's the snopes take on the candy cane.

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/christmas/candycane.asp

Bear

>So, how old is the peppermint cane? Is it period or just traditional?
Perhaps more of a Victorian thing? And where does the shape come from? Is
it, like the pretzel shape, to allow it to be hung for merchanting?

>Hmmm. I wonder if the original candy cane *was* two strips of red and white
candy laid next to each other, perhaps either or both with peppermint oil
flavoring, and then twisted together and this core surrounded by the colored
striping is just a modern way to make an item similar to the traditional
one, but cheaper to produce in quantity.