[Sca-cooks] marzipan madness pix

Kathleen A. Roberts karobert at unm.edu
Wed Dec 17 07:25:21 PST 2003

--On Tuesday, December 16, 2003 10:40 PM -0600 Stefan li Rous
<StefanliRous at austin.rr.com> wrote:

 Your shading of your colors on your
> marzipan looks wonderful. Really, the best I've seen. How are you doing
> it? With air brushing?

nope.... just the 3D marzipan shapes painted with gel food color used like
water color with a sable brush.  the stuff i DID mold color into is what i
am least happy with... the calyxes (sp) and stems.  a watercolor and oil
art background helped.

 Marzipan copies often give themselves away because
> their colors are too uniform or too bright. The two pieces of art you are
> showing here are both "flat" works.

again, illuminator experience.... the map is just a painted picture.  it
tried to paint the 3D as if they were alive, with the color shadings going
into the petals, rather than relying on the product being pink or green to
start with.

>Have you done any three-dimensional work, such as Olwen tends to
concentrate on?

other than doing a strawberry or carrot or two, this is the first 3D
marzipan i tried... or only other marzipan i have tried.   my idea to
supply flowers for the 'garden' escalated to the flemish scroll.

with owen's strong guiding email hand i got thru it with a minimum of prior
experience.  and lots of semi-useless print outs from the web.  the
directions from the marzipan readymade product people for roses didn't look
like real roses at all to me, so i played.     don't know if i am ready for
realistic twinkies and tacos, tho. 8)

>Both your pieces are true  works of art. I can easily see why no one
wanted to cut into them.

thank you.  the scroll will be preserved and used at as a centerpiece
display in three months for our heralds and scribes symposium.  and i am
getting alphabet cookie cutters and making 'scribal marzipan' to accompany
the 'heraldic cookies' for dessert.

it's sadly addictive....

cailte
more illuminator than calligrapher... in all forms

''Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy which
sustained him through temporary periods of joy.''
                                                        W.B. Yeats
Kathleen Roberts
Administrative Asst. II
UNM Freshman Admissions