[Sca-cooks] Le Menagier's chicken in orange sauce

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Dec 16 12:39:44 PST 2003

>1. Anything I should know about the translation or the modern version
>given in Pleyn Delit?  Are they reasonably trustworthy?  Their
>interpretaion looks pretty reasonable to me but I'd appreciate knowing
>if it's not!

I am in Paris at the moment, oddly enough, flying home tomorrow--so
don't have access to Pleyn Delite. So far as I know, the only
commercially published Englilsh translation of Le Menagier only
excerpts the cooking section and doesn't always tell you when it is
leaving chunks out, so is not trustworthy--I don't know whether the
authors of Pleyn Delit (who are generally reliable sorts) used that
translation or not.

You might want to check against the Janet Hinson translation, webbed
on my site, and the French original, which I think is webbed
somewhere.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/