[Sca-cooks] Le Menagier's chicken in orange sauce

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Dec 13 09:46:47 PST 2003

So what egregious errors did you find in "Food"?

I will agree that McGee is the superior work (for one thing, he includes a
bibliography).  I find that Root has his uses, but one needs to check his
quotes and his facts to ensure accuracy.  Root is generally correct, but his
errors tend to show when checking specifics against contemporary or quoted
sources.

If you want truly problematic references try James Trager.  I find his "The
Food Chronology" useful as a temporal starting point, but I don't depend on
it for accurate information.

Bear