[Sca-cooks] White Gingerbread - answer found!

Robert Downie rdownie at mb.sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 15 13:02:06 PST 2003

I did manage to find the recipe I was seeking (man , I've got to find time to tidy
up this office...)  Having the right recipe name would have helped too :-)

Fine Gingerbread: from _The Cook's Guide or Rare Receipts for Cookery_ 1664

Take three stale Manchets, grate them, dry them, and beat them; then sift them
through a fine sieve; then put to them one ounce of Ginger beaten and searced
fine, as much Cinnamon, half an ounce of Aniseeds and half an ounce of Liquorice,
half a pound of sugar; boil all these together with a quart of claret wine till it
come to a stiff paste; then mould it on a table with a little Flower, and roul it
very thin, and print it in moulds; dust your moulds with some of your powdered
spices..

Now my question is:
What is liquorice (I rather doubt it's those dark candy strips sold at the
store)?  I thought liquorice candy was flavored with aniseed?  This seems very
similar to the honey based gingerbread of earlier cookbooks in style, but I'm
really curious about how the wine will affect it.
I may have a go at these this weekend.  If I manage to find the time, and the
effort isn't a complete disaster, I'll post the results.

Faerisa