[Sca-cooks] Le Menagier's chicken in orange sauce

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Dec 18 19:09:57 PST 2003

There's mixed opinions about it but you might want to see
Living and Dining in Medieval Paris: Medieval Paris:
The Household of a Fourteenth Century Knight
By Nicole Crossley-Holland This study is based largely around a manuscript
written in the 1390s the Ménagier de Paris for the instruction of his
young wife on
how to run her kitchen. In it, Nicole Crossley-Holland combines the
scholarly
with the practical in introducing us to the sophisticated world of the
Parisian upper class.
She offers us menus and advice on food preparation and household skills and
goes on to identify the author of this manuscript, something which had
remained a
mystery until now. She examines typical Parisian houses, the origins of
the produce,
the diet of the household and provides translations of many of the
primary sources.
University of Wales Press 2000.  244 pp, 24 b/w illus  Paper ISBN:
0-7083-1647-6.  Stock # DB004. $35.00
http://www.foodbooks.com/medieval.htm

Several other authors use Le Menagier as source for recipes, including
the Scully's in Early French Cookery and Redon's The Medieval Kitchen.

Johnnae llyn Lewis