[Sca-cooks] Le Menagier's chicken in orange sauce

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Dec 12 11:14:47 PST 2003

Exciting news indeed.

Ok. This recipe is not in the Brereton edition of the MdParis. Hieatt if
you will
notice gives it as MP App which I take to mean appendices which are part of
the Pichon edition. You may want to check out the Pichon edition and see.
The best description/write up on this recipe is given the Scullys in
Early French Cookery
which would probably aid you greatly in writing your article.
Given all my work on oranges in the past couple years,
I still think that Tolkowsky is the best on citrus history. His work is
titled:
Hesperides. A history of the culture and use of citrus fruits. 1938.

Another source---

Reuther, Walter, Herbert John Webber, and Leon Dexter Batchelor.
The Citrus Industry. Revised Edition. Riverside, CA:
University of California. Division of Agricultural Sciences, 1967.
Volume I: History, World Distribution, Botany, and Varieties.
http://lib.ucr.edu/agnic/webber/

Reuther is  good and it's online .

I agree that the food photography in  Fetes Gourmandes is  lovely.
The new Shakespeare's Kitchen has lovely food photography but it
is all laid out in a modern style. Best to ask if they want the foods and
settings to be medieval or modern looking in terms of style.

Johnnae llyn Lewis