[Sca-cooks] Favorite chocolate truffle recipe?

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Sat Dec 20 10:28:32 PST 2003

Also sprach Anne-Marie Rousseau:
>Hey all from Anne-Marie
>
>I just made truffles for Xmas cookie plates and used the recipe on the
>back of the Ghiradelli bittersweet baking bar.
>
>It involved 1/4 cup of cream brought to a simmer. Add 8oz of chopped
>chocolate and 6T of butter, stirred in a double boiler until smooth and
>melty ("oops! Got some on my finger!" ;))
>
>Put in a shallow bowl and chill for two hours. Use a melon baller to
>scoop up roundish bits and roll in unsweetened cocoa.
>
>Is that basic enough? They were lovely, with a nice creamy consistency.
>Not very stable though...I'm storing them in a tin of unsweetened cocoa
>in a cool place so they don't go all melty on me ("oops! Got some more
>on my hands!" ;))
>
>This is the first time I've made truffles and was impressed with how
>easy it was, really. This recipe is the one that a friend of mine uses
>and they'r awefully good...
>
>Of course the better the chocolate, the better the truffle, I'm sure!
>And how much flavoring can one add before you screw up the consistency?
>I'd like to try flavoring them next time :). (can you say Kirschwasser?
>Maybe with some bits of dried cherry in there?)

Sounds wonderful!

Yeah, this is pretty much the type of recipe I had in mind. When I
spoke of adding 1/2 cup of reduced champagne essence, it was with the
unstated caveat that I was making quite a large batch. I'm using
several one-pound hunks broken off five-or-ten-pound blocks of
Valhrona. Oops, some of it is Callebaut. Anyway, my starting batch is
probably going to be at least two pounds of chocolate, so I should be
able to get the champagne in there without too much concern for
loosening the texture.

Thanks! I'll try to post the final recipe in some form, when I'm done.

A.