[Sca-cooks] language of Isreal

Avraham haRofeh of Sudentur avrahamharofeh at herald.sca.org
Sat Dec 20 14:14:32 PST 2003

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:45:55 -0700, Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com wrote:
> Yehoshua ben Haym haYerushalmi commented:
> My hebrew speeking friends all say that its not couscous. Since they speak
> hebrew and I don't at least on that front I will go with what they say.
> <<<
> Okay, a question from an ignorant American.
> I thought Hebrew was the language of Isreal. If it isn't, what is? Or do
> you manage to get by with English (or another language) since there are a
> lot of people there that speak it? Or is there no single language with
> the Isreali Arabs speaking one language and others speaking several
> different languages depending upon what they know?

Hebrew is the official language of Israel, but almost every educated Israeli
speaks English. Many American Jews who make aliyah (move to Israel) don't
speak Hebrew when they arrive, and they function perfectly well.

Avraham haRofeh
     (mka Randy Goldberg MD)
Random Tag: Semper litteris mandate (Always get it in writing). Official motto of the SCA College of Arms (Yes, Laurel's crown says "Non Scripta
Non Est" {If not written, it doesn't exist}. But I recall this version from Karina's Precedents, and it's on the West Kingdom's CoH seal.), "Silverwing's
Laws"