[Sca-cooks] A small OT lecture from Auntie 'Lainie

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 20 20:55:02 PST 2003

On 20 Dec 2003, at 19:33, Laura C. Minnick wrote:

> My small lecture is this: force yourself to sit down and think about what
> you would want to happen if you were in an accident, seriously ill, or such
> situation. What do you want to happen? What do you not want to happen? Sit down
> with your family and loved ones and TELL THEM what you want. And then put it in
> writing. It is fairly easy to put together a living will and a medical power of
> attorney. Your doctor's office can tell you where to get the papers.

Don't forget a regular will, so that your possessions will go where you want
them to go.  You don't have to own a lot of property to need a will.  Also, put
your funeral preferences down in writing.  Make sure that important financial
papers are in an easy-to-find place: the lease or mortgage, the car title and
registration, tax documents, and other essential pieces of modern life.

> It is hard, and I know it. None of us want to face our own mortality, but
> if you aren't specific about your needs and wishes, *someone else* will
> make the decisions for you- and they may not be the same ones.

It's also a way of being responsible and caring towards your loved ones.
Losing a dear friend or relative is painful enough, and the inevitable paperwork
and red tape just adds to the stress.  Don't make that part more complicated
and burdensome than it has to be.

Tell people how you feel about them *now*.  Give a compliment, settle a
grudge, say "thank you" or "I'm sorry" or "I love you".  Life doesn't always
give us a chance to say goodbye.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net