[Sca-cooks] Pistachio Marzipan

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Sun Dec 21 00:28:18 PST 2003

At 18:21 -0800 2003-12-20, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
> Adamantius wrote:
>>I was looking for pistachio extract there yesterday, but they were
>>out. Coulda gotten ground, shelled pistachios several blocks east
>>(think Lexington Avenue), but it's pretty expensive. Someday when I'm
>>rich I'll experiment with festicade, which is basically a period,
>>pistachio marzipan...
>
> Oh, oh, oh, ah, ah, ah, aaaaaaahhhhh
>
> So where's the recipe?

Ouverture de Cuisine, 1604, by Lancelot de Casteau, has (my
translation):

75. To make pistachio paste.

Take some pistachios out of the shell and soak them with hot water, so
that they are green, and cut them into pieces like the pine nuts, and
dried thus: then mix them with the sugar like the pine nuts, in the
shape of small breads [loaves], like the pine nuts.

Thorvald