[Sca-cooks] more on lemons

Judith Kingsbury miriambaslevi at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 21 15:44:21 PST 2003

Greetings,

Since Anahita hasn't answered your question as yet, I will endeavor to do so.

Preserved lemons are listed in the recipes from the MEDIEVAL ARAB COOKERY trans. by Rodinson, Arberry, and Perry,  pg. 144.  So they are indeed period.  I love all sorts of preserved and salted items for my cooking.  I was intrigued by seeing the recipe for salted grapes on the stem in the same book.  I adore preserved lemons in my tagines, my favorite one is Chicken cooked with preserved lemons, dried apricots, and kalamata olives with a honey sauce.  I don't know if it is a period recipe, but everything we use in it was available within period in Morocco.

A Somewhat Quiet Member of this List,
Miriam bas Levi

"Pixel, Goddess and Queen" <pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com> wrote:
So, apparently the people at Whole Foods who make up the labels for things
have never tasted the preserved lemons they made up labels for that say
one should use them to add a lemony zip to things like baked goods. They
are, in fact, the Moroccan salty kind (and got used in a tagine last
night, yum!).

Anahita, do you know how period they are?

Margaret