[Sca-cooks] OOP - Need recipe for Crown Roast

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sun Dec 21 17:00:09 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Okay - the Holidays are fast approaching and I need some culinary
> inspiration.  I've always wanted to make one of thos standing rib roasts
with the little
> paper crowns on the tips.  Anyone have any good recipe/past success
stories
> for this?
>
> Suzanne

Well, yes, now that you mention it ;-)

Several years ago, I helped Iasmine with her MK Coronation feast. I
purchased a veal calf, slaughtered her, and cut her into gobbets for kebabs,
roasted her bones and turned them into veal stock, and, while I was at it,
turned her rib roast into a Crown Roast for High Table.

Iasmine had forgotten my spice packet, so I improvised with such spices as I
found in the school kitchen, and roasted the roast in my propane smoker
grill.

These can be served either stuffed with dressing, or not. The important
thing is to check the temperature with an accurate thermometer. In this
case, I cut all but enough meat between the bones to hold it together, tied
it carefully, and spent some time with a Knnight who was serving High Table,
showing him how it was set up, so that he could carve it with dispatch.

We couldn't find any of the pretty little crowns for the end of the bones
(which I had frenched- in other words, pulled the meat back down the ribs to
the main part of the roast) so I improvised with little foil caps. Had
intended to serve the roast with poached egg yolks as golden coins, but ran
out of time- instead, it was served with abundant greenery. A description of
the feast can be found at:

http://www.godecookery.com/scafeast/dagela.htm

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS