[Sca-cooks] OOP - Need recipe for Crown Roast

Christine Seelye-King kingstaste at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 21 18:01:30 PST 2003

Ok, let me see if I can explain how to make the paper caps.  It is much
easier to demonstrate.
Take a piece of paper long enough to go around the bone ends plus about
1/4 - 1/2 inch.  How wide it is depends on how fluffy you want the crowns to
be.  With a sharp paring knife, lay the paper on a cutting surface and make
slits across the width from about 1/2 - 1/2 inch in from the edge of the
paper on both sides.  Make the slits parallel and running the entire length
of the paper, stopping about 1/4 inch from each end.  Take the slitted paper
and fold the long sides together.  You will start to see the 'crown' poofs.
To get the idea of the shape, wrap the whole thing around your finger and
secure with a small piece of tape at the end.  Voila!  You should have a
presentable crown.  This can be done with all kinds of paper.  I did one
once for a Coronation Feast (at the King's request) out of beef, it was
massive.  I made checkerboard black and white paper to go along with HRM's
device and made the crowns out of that.  It was very impressive!
Good luck, and I hope this makes sense.
Christianna