[Sca-cooks] smoked turkey necks?

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 22 09:03:48 PST 2003

>I've been seeing multiple displays of smoked turkey necks in my grocery
>lately. Perhaps because of the recent Thanksgiving holiday, although I
>don't remember seeing these in previous years. Maybe I just didn't notice.
>
>Anyway, what can these be used for? Can these be used to flavor other foods
>to give a smokey flavor such as is done with smoked ham hocks? Or would the
>turkey necks disintegrate into a lot of tiny bones? By the same reasoning,
>I suspect there are too many bones, or not enough meat that these are
>actually used as a meat source. Or am I wrong here?
>
>Stefan

Stefan, you certainly can use smoked necks to flavor other "stuff", like in
bean soup, or you can simmer them for a good while and use the stock for
marinades or soup.  If you simmer them long enough the meat will eventually
fall off the bones.  Then you can use the meat either in a soup/stew or make
a pot pie or you can make either turkey salad or turkey BBQ.
I use a lot of fresh turkey necks that I cook for a couple of hours in a
covered pyrex dish with garlic and sherry.  The dish has become Alainne's
favorite "comfort food".
Olwen