[Sca-cooks] smoked turkey necks?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Dec 22 20:15:55 PST 2003

Olwen replied to me with:
> Stefan, you certainly can use smoked necks to flavor other "stuff",
> like in
> bean soup, or you can simmer them for a good while and use the stock
> for
> marinades or soup.  If you simmer them long enough the meat will
> eventually
> fall off the bones.
But if the meat is falling off the bones, are the bones still a
connected assembly? Or are there now a bunch of rather small bones and
gristle intermixed with the turkey meat?
> Then you can use the meat either in a soup/stew or
> make
> a pot pie or you can make either turkey salad or turkey BBQ.
These sound good.
> I use a lot of fresh turkey necks that I cook for a couple of hours in
> covered pyrex dish with garlic and sherry.
This sounds pretty good, too. Except for the vision of trying to dig
out a bunch of bones as I eat it. Actually I think the gristle is more
of a problem than the bones. Bones are easier to find and seperate
before they get into your mouth. I might have to try the sherry and the
garlic with just some shredded turkey meat.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com