[Sca-cooks] One of the original fruitcakes has been admitted to ; -)

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Mon Dec 22 09:38:12 PST 2003

Also sprach Phlip:
>Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...
>
>http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/12/22/offbeat.fruitcake.ap/index.html

This from a culture that has no problem with pickled eggs.

I'm curious as to why, and at what point, people stopped liking
fruitcake, as a rule. I'd hate to think it was the availability of
cheap sugar sources that spelled the beginning of the end for dried
fruit in baking. I'd also hate to think it was a public distaste for
things like funky-colored glace cherries and mysterious citron peel,
because those things belong no more in a proper fruitcake (at least
not in bulk) than holes belong in a hamburger made outside of White
Castle, and people persist in rampant hamburger-eating in spite of
White Castle's existence. Why is fruitcake examined under the
microscope of its worst possible incarnation, with that incarnation
assumed to be the norm?

So we have a product most people profess to know via
commercial/industrial production, some of whom have never actually
eaten it, but who have grown, from infancy, making fun of it.

And did I mention haggis is yummy, too?

Adamantius