[Sca-cooks] Food in 1632? sorta OP/OT

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Dec 22 11:00:57 PST 2003

> German peasants complaining about how much meat the uptime hostess wasted on
> each meal & that the food was too spicy (spaghetti & chili).

*snort* They would be much more likely to say it was boring. :)

What I would
> like to ask those of you with far more knowledge than my limited scope
> (mainly because some one else posted a response about the old saw of spoiled
> meat & spices) is for a list of meats, vegetables, beverages, grains, herbs
> & spices with relative values if they are known that would be available to
> either a noble or a peasant for the 1632 time frame.  Also permission to
> post your responses to the list at Baen's Bar.

I think that the best plan would be to suggest that Baen invest in a copy
of Fuch's _Grete Herbal_ which has recently (in the last 4 years) been
reissued but costs an arm and a leg. Anything in Fuch's is probably fair
game since it was published in the 1500's.

-- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
".. objections to the evils of political correctness have become a
hypocritical reflex that lets people justify all kinds of rude behavior
while telling themselves that they're actually standing up for freedom and
values and tradition and stuff."
-- Phil Agre, author, Red Rock Eater News Service.