[Sca-cooks] Food in 1632? sorta OP/OT

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Dec 22 18:16:44 PST 2003

  Johnnae llyn Lewis commented:
> Given that the 30 Years War would have been waging then,
> your setting needs to decide which side the community would have
> been located in--- Catholic or not? Fish days or not?
Good point. Or were the restrictions already fading on the Catholic
side, too? Or were they actually being stiffened to differentiate the
"good" people from the "bad" people?
> Where would one get the tomatoes for the chili and spaghetti?
Not to mention where would one get the chili peppers or even the pasta
or hard flour to make the pasta from. The peppers were in Europe, but
in southern Europe in Spain and Italy, not Germany. Even if they were
obtainable, I think this might hinge on whether we are talking about
upper class or lower.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas