[Sca-cooks] Food in 1632? sorta OP/OT

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 23 18:54:14 PST 2003

>--- Terry Decker <t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net>
>wrote:
>>
>> Remember that little cookbook by Sabina
>> Welserin?  The Welsers were financed
>> a private expedition into South America in the
>> late 1530s.  The Fuggers,
>> Welsers and Hochstetters were funding Spanish
>> and Portuguese exploration and
>> had agents in most of the Mediterranean ports.
>> They had their fingers in
>> most of the trade pies in Europe.  If something
>> was in Europe, it could get
>> to Germany, or at least Augsburg, quickly.
>
>In 1529, Bartholomew Welser received a huge grant
>of land in what is now Venezuela from Charles V
>(King Charles I of Spain), who gave it to
>Bartholomew in exchange for large sums of money
>owed to the Welser Family on behalf of the crown.
>The Family sponsored an expedition to inspect and
>explore their new lands in 1535 under the command
>of Phillip von Hutton, hoping to find precious
>metals and colonize the area. Von Hutton spent
>several years exploring the continent’s interior
>and eventually became Captain-General of the
>province. In 1546, however, the Spanish crown
>revoked the Welser’s land grant. The new Spanish
>Governor had the entire expedition executed.
>
>Huette

Nikolaus Fedder led a Welser sponsored expedition (an extension of von
Hutton's work IIRC) into Ecuador where he met with a Spanish expedition
headed by a gentleman named de Quesada who had joined up with a third
expedtion headed by a gentleman whose name I can't remember.

De Quesada is credited with being the first to encounter potatoes and with
founding the city of Quito and was the first of the three in the region.

The three commanders squabbled about who was to be the governor of the new
possession.  In 1538, they returned to Spain and placed their dispute before
the Crown.  Leader number three won.  Fedder aquabbled with the Welsers
about monies owed him and in 1541 severed the connection and disappeared
into the mists of history.

Fedder is of interest to me because he represents a possible link between
Germany and the potato, but there is no evidence that he brought any back.

Bear