[Sca-cooks] chocolate merengue cake

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Wed Dec 24 20:15:25 PST 2003

> I thought this was going to be a chocolate mixture topped with
> merengue but here you talk about folding it into the chocolate
> mixture. The merengue is inside the chocolate mixture? Or is this a
> chocolate merengue? I thought merengue was egg whites and sugar and
> other stuff? whipped together. Or is this like a hostess muffin,
> chocolate cake surrounding the merengue? Either Stefan is just totally
> confused or perhaps Magdalena was sleepier than she thought.

I was pretty darned sleepy, Stefan, but I typed that right :)

I've copied the recipe below.  The merengue makes up the volume of the cake, since it has no flour.  Since I used the 4-1/2" pans this time, they took about 30 minutes to bake.  Also, when the cake falls as it cools, it sinks in the center.  The recipe says to press the edges down to make a flat-ish surface.  In the small pans, I found the fallen center to raised edge difference to be more exagerated, and had to break off part of the edges before squashing it down.  Then I *had* to eat all those broken off bits before anybody knew what I had done...  The small cakes looked awesome.  I arranged the four of them on a funky square plate that is quartered in color.  I wish I'd had gold leaf or something on hand so I could have decorated all four differently :)  Next time...

In the past, I've also used a regular ganache (cream, butter, chocolate) for the icing instead of the glaze with corn syrup, particularly during Passover when I wanted to make it KFP.  I imagine any flavored ganache, like our flavored truffles, would be great - Kirsch, Chambord, Grand Marnier, etc. It's also good dusted with powdered sugar and topped with fresh raspberries.

Merry Christmas, all!

-Magdalena

Flourless Chocolate Cake

For cake
12 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces

6 large eggs, separated
12 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

For glaze
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
9 ounces bittersweet (not unsweetened) or semisweet chocolate, finely
chopped

Chocolate shavings,  Gold-brushed Chocolate Leaves, powdered sugar, or
whatever amuses you to decorate it.
<http://www.epicurious.com/run/recipe/view?id=5873>

Make cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan. Line
bottom of pan with parchment paper or waxed paper; butter paper. Wrap
outside of pan with foil. Stir chocolate and butter in heavy medium
saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Cool
to lukewarm, stirring often.

Using electric mixer, beat egg yolks and 6 tablespoons sugar in large
bowl until mixture is very thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Fold
lukewarm chocolate mixture into yolk mixture, then fold in vanilla
extract. Using clean dry beaters, beat egg whites in another large bowl
until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 6 tablespoons sugar,
beating until medium-firm peaks form. Fold whites into chocolate mixture
in 3 additions. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake cake until top is puffed and cracked and tester inserted into
center comes out with some moist crumbs attached, about 50 minutes. Cool
cake in pan on rack (cake will fall).

Gently press down crusty top to make evenly thick cake. Using small
knife, cut around pan sides to loosen cake. Remove pan sides. Place
9-inch-diameter tart pan bottom or cardboard round atop cake. Invert
cake onto tart pan bottom. Peel off parchment paper.

Make glaze:
Bring cream and corn syrup to simmer in medium saucepan. Remove from
heat. Add chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth.

Place cake on rack set over baking sheet. Spread 1/2 cup glaze smoothly
over top and sides of cake. Freeze until almost set, about 3 minutes.
Pour remaining glaze over cake; smooth sides and top. Place cake on
platter. Chill until glaze is firm, about 1 hour. (Can be made 1 day
ahead. Cover with cake dome; store at room temperature.) Garnish with
chocolate shavings or leaves. Serve at room temperature.

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him to find it for himself. - Galileo Galilei