[Sca-cooks] Re: plums in plum pudding

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Dec 24 23:35:17 PST 2003

Adamantius commented:
> Makes sense, but I wonder at what point "prune" came to mean "dried
> plum", when it used to mean, to English-speakers, a variety of plum
> that frequently comes to us imported in dried form.
Huh? So what type of plum is this? Was this type (in dried form) the
only type of plum the English had access to?
> For that matter, is not the same true of raisins?
Are you saying that when we see "raisin" in a period recipe that this
meant a specific type of grape which was dried, rather than any dried
grape?
Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas