[Sca-cooks] Traveling Dysshes

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Dec 25 13:40:33 PST 2003

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> A friend asked me if I was familiar with the cookbook "Traveling
> Dysshes".  I've heard of it, but that is all that I can remember.  She is
> very interested in authentic period cooking and was thinking of adding it
> to her collection.  She told me that Amazon says that the book contains
> original period recipes and redactions.  She was wondering if it is any
> good, and what period cookbooks it draws from (she doesn't want to
> duplicate if she already has the recipes in her collection).  Can anyone
> help with this?
>
> Mahalo, and Mele Kalikimaka!

For future reference, you can look in Stefan's Florilegium, and get quite a
few reviews of various books of interest to cooks. You might suggest she
look through there, get some ideas.

As far as Travelling Dyshes, I've never read it, but as I understand it, the
consensus is that it sucks. Apparently it has some original recipes, and
some redactions, but the recipes it has are all from readily available
sources, and the redactions apparently bear little resemblance to the
originals. Further, apparently the dysshes aren't particularly good for
travelling.

As I said, though, I haven't read it- you might go into the Florilegium and
see what's been said by people there.

Saint Phlip,
CoDoLDS

 Blacksmith's credo.