[Sca-cooks] Traveling Dysshes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Dec 25 20:53:39 PST 2003

Catriona commented and asked:
> I'm Catriona Stewart, Western Seas, Caid (Hawaii).  I recently
> resubscribed to this list (I once lurked here), but knowing little
> about
> cooking, I didn't do anything but lurk. I love the discussions and I am
> learning.
Welcome back! Please feel free to continue to lurk, ask questions or
comment. We have folks of all abilities here and probably a number such
as yourself who sit in the background and listen. Particularly feel
welcome to ask a period food question when the noisier ones among us
wander.
> A friend asked me if I was familiar with the cookbook "Traveling
> Dysshes".  I've heard of it, but that is all that I can remember.  She
> is
> very interested in authentic period cooking and was thinking of adding
> it to her collection.
I would recommend it for that. For the person already familiar with
cooking or wanting to get past the introductory areas of period
cooking, I would recommend getting some other books. I am not so down
on this book as some others on this list seem to be. I think it is
particularly good for those whose interests are in fighting or other
arts than cooking but who would still like to have more period food to
take to events.
> She told me that Amazon says that the book contains
> original period recipes and redactions.  She was wondering if it is any
> good,
Yes, it has both. Which puts it ahead of many cookbooks on period
foods. I do have some quibbles on the redactions but I often have
quibbles even with the redactions done by others on this list. This is
why having the original recipe alongside the redaction is good.
> and what period cookbooks it draws from (she doesn't want to
> duplicate if she already has the recipes in her collection).
Since it is drawn from multiple sources, as are often other books, some
duplication is probably unavoidable. And it is often useful to compare
two different redactions of the same recipe.

I know there are reviews of this cookbook in the Florilegium, but I
couldn't find them in the file I was expecting to find them in,
cookbooks-SCA-msg. I would go to the top of the Florilegium and enter
the title into the search engine there. This book did come up in
discussion here within the last few weeks. Rather than repeat them on
this list, I will forward them to you. Even if I don't necessarily
agree with them. :-)

I would also look at this file in the FOOD-BOOKS section for
recommendations on other cookbooks on period food:
cookbooks-bib     (40K)  6/ 9/01    Cookbook bib. by Mistress Jaelle of
Armida.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BOOKS/cookbooks-bib.html

Stefan
--------