[Sca-cooks] porter cake

Jessica Tiffin melisant at iafrica.com
Thu Dec 25 23:10:46 PST 2003

Stefan asked:
and Nancy Kiel wrote:
>I've always interpreted this as sort of creaming the butter and flour
>together.

Rubbing in the fat is what you do for pastry-making: start with a bowl of
flour, with whatever spices mixed in, add the chilled fat cut into little
bits, and have at it with your fingertips, rubbing the fat and flour
together until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.  It actually gives you
quite a different effect to creaming the fat and mixing in the flour,
somehow.  Is "rubbing in" not a standard term in American cookery?  it's
one of the basics in my Brit-influenced habits...

JdH
p.s. and, Stefan, thanks so much for sending me the Spanish recipes!

Jehanne de Huguenin (Jessica Tiffin) * Drachenwald Kingdom Chronicler
Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town, South Africa
melisant at iafrica.com ***  http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.