[Sca-cooks] My Christmas dinner & LOOT

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 27 16:06:22 PST 2003

Adamantius commented:
Also sprach Robin Carroll-Mann:
> Christmas dinner was a beef roast, accompanied by roasted root
> vegetables, and my first-ever Yorkshire pudding.  It came out well,
> but would have been better with some gravy, I think.
>
> Yes, it's a conundrum. If you either roast the vegetables in the same
> pan as the beef, or cook the pudding in it (some older recipes
> recommend this), gravy integrity can be compromised.

My problem was that I didn't have any gravy, and the roast (a small eye of
round) did not produce enough drippings to make gravy.  If I'd been thinking, I
would have bought a different cut of meat, and/or a jar of gravy.

The veggies (carrots, parsnips, potatoes, and shallots) were roasted in a pan
separate from the beef, with olive oil, garlic, thyme, and black pepper.  Very
tasty.

The Yorkshire pudding was baked in a small cast-iron skillet.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net