[Sca-cooks] My Christmas dinner & LOOT

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Sat Dec 27 16:55:15 PST 2003

Also sprach Robin Carroll-Mann:
>Adamantius commented:
>Also sprach Robin Carroll-Mann:
>>  Christmas dinner was a beef roast, accompanied by roasted root
>>  vegetables, and my first-ever Yorkshire pudding.  It came out well,
>>  but would have been better with some gravy, I think.
>>
>>  Yes, it's a conundrum. If you either roast the vegetables in the same
>>  pan as the beef, or cook the pudding in it (some older recipes
>>  recommend this), gravy integrity can be compromised.
>
>My problem was that I didn't have any gravy, and the roast (a small eye of
>round) did not produce enough drippings to make gravy.  If I'd been
>thinking, I
>would have bought a different cut of meat, and/or a jar of gravy.

I had an eye round too, but it was massive (purchased by spouse with
eyes bigger than stomach), and barded, so fat was more in evidence.
You'd be surprised, though, how you can get a sort of characteristic
eye-round gravy from that cut, even if there isn't enough fat to do
the roux thing. If you ever have to deal with this particular
situation again, my recommendation (and very similar to what I
actually did) is to make a brown roux (just barely darker than peanut
butter is a good color) in a saucepan with (ideally) some of the fat
from the meat, but failing that, olive oil or other reasonably
complimentary / non-clashing fat source. I'd go with a can of beef
stock, something like College Inn or Swanson's, whisked into that
roux (which is made with maybe 1 heaping tablespoon of flour and an
equal amount of fat). When the meat is done, you can then deglaze the
pan with your nearly-finished gravy, which sort of marries the
semi-artificial gravy with the pan drippings (which with an eye round
frequently don't amount to much in volume, but are highly colored,
highly caramelized (but not bitter) and usually quite flavorful.

I have learned from limited, but highly effective, experience, that
there seems to be no good commercially prepared gravy. It always
seems to be too salty, taste not enough like the meat it was
allegedly made from, and is almost invariably thickened with some
weird substance that leaves a peculiar mouth feel (I _like_ potato
starch, but not in gravy. Waxy maize has its place. Even modified
food starch... but when I see gravy my mouth expects flour which has
been toasted to some varying extent).

For an eye round I might consider keeping the gravy comparatively
thin, since the flavor is fairly delicate. I sometimes add a little
body to it with some powdered gelatin, to give it a sort of neutral
richness (there'd be gelatin in it anyway, if made with real homemade
stock).

>The veggies (carrots, parsnips, potatoes, and shallots) were roasted in a pan
>separate from the beef, with olive oil, garlic, thyme, and black pepper.  Very
>tasty.
>
>The Yorkshire pudding was baked in a small cast-iron skillet.

It all sounds lovely! Hmmm. Leftover roast beef with sour cream horseradish...

A.