[Sca-cooks] canned gravy??????

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Dec 28 00:28:21 PST 2003

  Caointiarn exclaimed in horror:
> > Most of my gravy making still consists of opening a can or mixin up a
> powdered mix.
> > Stefan
>
>      EEEEeeeewwww!   CAN or POWDERED  gravy??  Stefan,  where did we go
> wrong??  Have you missed an episode or digest somewhere?   It was bad
> enough
> that I had to politely say "no, thank you" and NOT make a face when my
> Swetie's sister(s) took perfectly good Turkey drippings,  poured out
> every bit of fat they could discern, only to mix in waaaaay too much
> cornstarch to make some gelatinous glop they called "gravy."
I'm not *that* bad, although figuring out how to seperate the grease
from the drippings is something I still need to work on. I probably end
up with more grease than I should.

But if I want chicken-fried steak and mashed potatoes, how do I get
gravy for the mashed potatoes? Actually for both of them. Especially if
it is a frozen chicken-fried steak. Sometimes a good slice of Swiss
cheese will work on the C.F. steak, but that usually isn't what I want
on my mashed potatoes.

For Thanksgiving we did have a good giblet gravy, but my mother-in-law
doesn't put hard boiled eggs in hers, ehich I like. And there really
wasn't that much and it ran out long before the leftover turkey did.

Stefan
(And various comments from Adamantius on making gravy are filed away in
my mundane recipes section)
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com