[Sca-cooks] canned gravy??????

karobert at unm.edu karobert at unm.edu
Sun Dec 28 11:52:14 PST 2003

Quoting "Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius" <adamantius at verizon.net>:

> This got me thinking. I realize (or at least have a memory of real or
>
> imagined events) that when I was a child, my mother would set out a
> platter of celery and carrot sticks at, it seemed, nearly every
> dinner. On holidays it was more elaborate, with olives and little
> pickles and such, but it just struck me that it was, as far as I can
>  recall, almost always there.

exactly... course, in my family (which i cannot call worldly by any
stretch of the imagination) it was pimento stuffed olives... i don't
think they knew what a black olive was... and that yellow pickled
cauliflower (which i loved) and sometimes, o happy day, pickled onions
(usually yellow too).

christmas and new years mostly, i think, before the major feed.  no dips
or anything like that... just the veggies, olives and pickles.

that, and (for the kids) a glass of diluted mogan david wine... probably
about a tablespoon per sherry glass.   funny, the family had fancy
glassware, but never drank any other wine!

but i think that watered down wine and the cheese glass full of beer at
crabfeasts de-mystified drinking for us kids, which is a good thing.

cailte
growing up in the late 50's and 60's in baltimore, md